Monday, November 17, 2014

Khalil Gibran: A Selection for Our Times

KHALIL GIBRAN’s THE MADMAN
vvvv
vvvv
vvvv
vvvv
THE WISE DOG
One day there passed by a company of cats a wise dog.

And as he came near and saw that they were very intent and heeded him not, he stopped.

Then there arose in the midst of the company a large, grave cat and looked upon them and said, “Brethren, pray ye; and when ye have prayed again and yet again, nothing doubting, verily then it shall rain mice.”

And when the dog heard this he laughed in his heart and turned from them saying, “O blind and foolish cats, has it not been written and have I not known and my fathers before me, that that which raineth for prayer and faith and supplication is not mice but bones.

iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii
Wisdom is gained by experience, but not everyone has the same experiences.
Cats look for mice, but dogs ask of their masters and get only bones.
vvvv
vvvv
THE TWO HERMITS
Upon a lonely mountain, there lived two hermits who worshipped God and loved one another.

Now these two hermits had one earthen bowl, and this was their only possession.

One day an evil spirit entered into the heart of the older hermit and he came to the younger and said, “It is long that we have lived together. The time has come for us to part. Let us divide our possessions.”

Then the younger hermit was saddened and he said, “It grieves me, Brother, that thou shouldst leave me. But if thou must needs go, so be it,” and he brought the earthen bowl and gave it to him saying, “We cannot divide it, Brother, let it be Thine.”

Then the older hermit said, “Charity I will not accept. I will take nothing but mine own. It must be divided.”

And the younger one said, “If the bowl be broken, of what use would it be to thee or to me? If it be thy pleasure let us rather cast a lot.”

But the older hermit said again, “I will have but justice and mine own, and I will not trust justice and mine own to vain chance. The bowl must be divided.”

Then the younger hermit could reason no further and he said, “If it be indeed thy will, and if even so thou wouldst have it let us now break the bowl.”

But the face of the older hermit grew exceedingly dark, and he cried, “O thou cursed coward, thou wouldst not fight.

iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii
The younger hermit proved himself wiser and more patient than their elder hermit,
which means that
age is just a number.
vvvv
vvvv
ON GIVING AND TAKING
Once there lived a man who had a valley--full of needles. And one day the mother of Jesus came to him and said: “Friend, my son’s garment is torn and I must needs mend it before he goeth to the temple. Wouldst thou not give me a needle?”

And he gave her not a needle, but he gave her a learned discourse on Giving and Taking to carry to her son before he should go to the temple.
iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii
Theory has its use, but it’s not essential.
vvvv
vvvv
THE TWO CAGES
In my father’s garden there are two cages. In one is a lion, which my father’s slaves brought from the desert of Nineveh; in the other is a songless sparrow.

Every day at dawn the sparrow calls to the lion, “Good morrow to thee, brother prisoner.

iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii
A slave is a slave, no matter how strong or intelligent.
vvvv
vvvv
THE THREE ANTS
Three ants met on the nose of a man who was asleep in the sun. And after they had saluted one another, each according to the custom of his tribe, they stood there conversing.

The first ant said, “These hills and plains are the most barren I have known. I have searched all day for a grain of some sort, and there is none to be found.”

Said the second ant, “I too have found nothing, though I have visited every nook and glade. This is, I believe, what my people call the soft, moving land where nothing grows.”

Then the third ant raised his head and said, “My friends, we are standing now on the nose of the Supreme Ant, the mighty and infinite Ant, whose body is so great that we cannot see it, whose shadow is so vast that we cannot trace it, whose voice is so loud that we cannot hear it; and He is omnipresent.”

When the third ant spoke thus the other ants looked at each other and laughed.

At that moment the man moved and in his sleep raised his hand and scratched his nose, and the three ants were crushed.

iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii
The true prophet is always deemed insane until his prophecies come true.
vvvv
vvvv
THE GRAVE-DIGGER
Once, as I was burying one of my dead selves, the grave-digger came by and said to me, “Of all those who come here to bury, you alone I like.”

Said I, “You please me exceedingly, but why do you like me?”

“Because,” said he, “They come weeping and go weeping--you only come laughing and go laughing.”
iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii
Don’t take life too seriously.
vvvv
vvvv
ON THE STEPS OF THE TEMPLE
Yestereve, on the marble steps of the Temple, I saw a woman sitting between two men. One side of her face was pale, the other was blushing.
iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii
One man horrified her,
the other excited her,
as she remained oblivious to everything around her.
OR
The man who horrified her excited her at the same time,
and he wasn’t sitting next to her,
in fact,
he was the one looking at her.
vvvv
vvvv
THE GREAT LONGING
Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea.

We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange. Nay, it is deeper than my sister’s depth and stronger than my brother’s strength, and stranger than the strangeness of my madness.

Aeons upon aeons have passed since the first grey dawn made us visible to one another; and though we have seen the birth and the fullness and the death of many worlds, we are still eager and young.

We are young and eager and yet we are mateless and unvisited, and though we lie in unbroken half embrace, we are uncomforted. And what comfort is there for controlled desire and unspent passion? Whence shall come the flaming god to warm my sister’s bed? And what she-torrent shall quench my brother’s fire? And who is the woman that shall command my heart?

In the stillness of the night my sister murmurs in her sleep the fire-god’s unknown name, and my brother calls afar upon the cool and distant goddess. But upon whom I call in my sleep I know not.

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.
iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii
Where the deeper forms of love absent from the heart,
the form of love more instantaneous and more intense
and leading to despair and anxiety
shall take its place.
vvvv
vvvv
THE EYE
Said the Eye one day, “I see beyond these valleys a mountain veiled with blue mist. Is it not beautiful?”

The Ear listened, and after listening intently awhile, said, “But where is any mountain? I do not hear it.”

Then the Hand spoke and said, “I am trying in vain to feel it or touch it, and I can find no mountain.”

And the Nose said, “There is no mountain, I cannot smell it.”

Then the Eye turned the other way, and they all began to talk together about the Eye’s strange delusion. And they said, “Something must be the matter with the Eye.”
iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii
The atheist wishes to know where God is,
because he can’t see him,
or because God has left for him no empirical clue as to His own existence.
What the eye saw, it knew existed,
but what the hand couldn’t feel or the eye couldn’t see
denied the eye’s account
because they couldn’t feel or hear what the eye saw.
vvvv
vvvv
THE TWO LEARNED MEN
Once there lived in the ancient city of Afkar two learned men who hated and belittled each other’s learning. For one of them denied the existence of the gods and the other was a believer.

One day the two met in the marketplace, and amidst their followers they began to dispute and to argue about the existence or the non-existence of the gods. And after hours of contention they parted.

That evening the unbeliever went to the temple and prostrated himself before the altar and prayed the gods to forgive his wayward past.

And the same hour the other learned man, he who had upheld the gods, burned his sacred books. For he had become an unbeliever.
iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiii
What does learned mean? “Wise”?
vvvv
vvvv
vvvv
vvvv
END.

2 comments: